WHAT ARE AUSTRALIA AWARDS?
Australia Awards are prestigious international Scholarships, Fellowships and Short Courses funded by the Australian Government. Australia Awards equip recipients with the skills and knowledge to drive change and contribute to the economic and social development of their own countries.
All recipients of Australia Awards become part of the Australia Global Alumni network, connecting them to Australia and to each other — building an engaged and influential global network of leaders and advocates, and establishing a network of ambassadors for Australia and its first-class education system.
An important area of focus for Australia Awards is the empowerment of women and the inclusion of people with disability and individuals from disadvantaged social groups.
Australia Awards scholarships in Bangladesh
In Bangladesh, Australia Awards will support the Australian Government’s Partnerships for Recovery: COVID-19 Development Response Plan 2020-21 and 2021-22 and the Bangladesh Government’s 8th Five Year Plan 2021-2025. Australia Awards will focus on supporting health security, stability and economic recovery in Bangladesh by strengthening government systems, enhancing policymaking in priority sectors, improving economic governance, and building trade and business capabilities.
Applicants are assessed on their professional and personal qualities, academic competence and, most importantly, their potential to impact development challenges in Bangladesh.
Applications are strongly encouraged from eligible women, people with disability and ethnic minorities. At least 50 per cent of the scholarships will be targeted at suitability qualified female applicants.
Priority Fields of Study
The priority areas of study for Bangladesh are:
- Blue economy: Fisheries & aquaculture; Marine & maritime studies; Seaports & shipping.
- Health: Public health; Health management; International/global public health; Health Leadership.
- Development – Environment – Sustainability: Climate change & disaster risk reduction; Environment sustainability & development; Emergency & humanitarian response management; Water resources management Agriculture
- Trade Industry: International trade & business; Financial planning & management; Tourism/sustainable tourism/eco-tourism; Arts management.
- Public Policy – Economics – Governance: Public policy & management; Public administration; Public finance & economics; Power, energy & mineral resources; Human rights & international relations.
- Infrastructure – Science – Engineering: Engineering & technology; Information technology; Transport & infrastructure.
- Security studies: Cyber security; Counter-terrorism and countering violent extremism; Police studies & intelligence.
The governments of Australia and Bangladesh regularly review these areas of study together and adjust the emphasis of the program.
Level of Study
Australia Awards scholarships provide citizens of Bangladesh with the opportunity to obtain a qualification at an Australian tertiary institution.
Awards will be offered for commencement in 2022 within the following allocation:
- master’s (by coursework or research).
Australia Awards Benefits
Australia Awards scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian education institution, including any preparatory training.
Scholarship recipients will receive the following:
- return air travel
- a one-off establishment allowance on arrival
- full tuition fees
- contribution to living expenses
- introductory academic program
- overseas student health cover for the duration of the scholarship
- supplementary academic support
- field work allowance for research students and masters by coursework which has a compulsory fieldwork component.
Commencement of Study
Scholarships for study commencing in 2022 must be taken up in Semester 1 of 2022 unless it is deferred by the program or travel restrictions due to COVID-19.
In addition to the eligibility requirements, candidates from Bangladesh must also meet the following conditions:
(a) Must be from one of the following target groups:
Group 1: Cadre Officials from the Government of Bangladesh, officials of the Bangladesh Bank, and Judicial Services officials.
Group 2: Workers from development organisations, specifically non-government organisations, civil society organisations, community-based organisations.
Group 3: Entrepreneurs or employees of private sector organisations Group 4: Individuals from academia, research institutions, media and cultural organisations.
(b) be a citizen of Bangladesh and be residing in and applying for the scholarship from Bangladesh
(c) not be married, engaged to, or a de facto of a person who holds, or is eligible to hold, Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency, at any time during the application, selection or mobilisation phases
(d) not be currently serving as military personnel
(e) not be a citizen of Australia, hold permanent residency in Australia or be applying for a visa to live in Australia permanently
(f) not be applying for another long-term Australia Award unless they have resided outside of Australia for twice the length of the total time that they were in Australia
(g) must be able to satisfy admission requirements of the Australian institution where the Award will be undertaken
(h) must be able to satisfy all requirements of the Department of Home Affairs to hold a Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade supported student visa
(i) must have achieved an IELTS (Academic) score of at 6.5 or higher (with no individual band score of less than 6.0) or an equivalent TOEFL or PTE score. Scores must be valid at 1 January 2022
(j) women, people with disability, and members of traditionally marginalised groups will be considered for eligibility with an IELTS (Academic) overall score of 6 or above (with no individual band less than 5.5) or an equivalent TOEFL or PTE test score. However, if offered an Australia Awards Scholarship, these applicants must meet the institution’s English language requirements before commencing the approved main course of studies.
Qualifications/ work experience
- Have at least four (4) years’ full-time relevant work experience (preference will be given to candidates who are applying for fields of study that builds on their work experience).
- Have completed a tertiary level qualification at least equivalent to an Australian Bachelor’s degree.
Please note that bachelor’s degrees obtained from private universities in Bangladesh are generally not considered equivalent to an Australian bachelor’s degree. Applicants should check with their proposed Australian institution whether their Bangladesh qualification is considered equivalent to an Australian Bachelor’s degree.
Generally, scholarships will not be available for courses of study in Australia where the applicant has already achieved that qualification and the qualification is deemed to be equivalent to the Australian qualification.
Applicants must also meet the following country-specific conditions:
(a) applicants wishing to study for a master’s by research degree must identify a potential supervisor and must show proof of in-principle support from their university/potential research supervisor.
(b) scholarship recipients are required to return to Bangladesh for at least two years after completing their studies.
The Program will request recognition of prior learning for all Scholarship recipients from Bangladesh. If this request is granted, the recipient may be placed in a degree program that may be shorter in duration than for that which they have originally applied.
For study commencing in Australia in 2022:
- Opening date: 1 February 2021
- Closing date: 30 April 2021
Applications and/or supporting documents received after the closing date will not be considered.
To learn more about Application Process, please visit the link below: